Friday, August 27, 2010

Baby registry: Strollers

Babies can have a significant environmental impact. In an effort to reduce the impact of mine, I'm hoping to provide for her with hand-me-downs and used items. Of course this makes it difficult to "register" since craigslist doesn't have a registry (hmm... business idea, someone?). Also, in most cases multiple types of an item will fit the bill as well as each other.

Strollers are tricky because not just any will do. I'm tall. When I push Laura's stroller, I have to walk like a duck to avoid kicking it and it wrenches my back. There are also a range of other considerations such as weight and size since baby can't bike with me for the first year. We are likely to be riding the bus a lot! While the stroller must be big in size to fit me, it must also be light and fold small for the bus. Like anything, these are natural trade-offs.

Finally, not all strollers accommodate infants which I understand need to be completely flat -- something to check for. Not all the strollers listed below accommodate infants -- not necessarily a deal breaker since I can carry her at first as well.

Having now test-pushed about 300 strollers, I have news. I don't kick the following strollers when I push them making them desirable choices:
* Bugabuoo
* Bob (aluminum instead of plastic wheels makes it much lighter)
* City Elite
* Aprica
* Graco Alano flipit
* Mountain Buggy urban stroller
* Combi Cosmo Ex
* Pliko P3 Peg Pergo
* Chico Capri

So, if you have one of the above to spare or if you find one used for a good price, I would love to have it. Thank you!

[Special thanks to Young for taking me all around to push these strollers in stores. You are a true friend!]

4 comments:

Tyler said...

First of all... WHAT? How am I so late to this party. Secondly I thought I'd go make a generic gift registry (but then I googled first).

http://www.findgift.com/

Looks like it would work for people looking for stuff on Craigslist (or their attic).

Mom said...

Tyler, I suspect you don't use facebook like you used to. It's been there for a while.

Thanks. I'll check out that link.

Adrienne Johnson said...

I hated strollers. I had good ones for all three of the kids, but I hated them.

I used to make baby carriers and I still have a ton of them. I would be more than happy to give one to you. I know when I started using them my stroller was completely forgotten.

Mom said...

Adrienne: yes, absolutely. A carrier that works well for you is likely to work well for me too. I would love to have it. Thank you!