Wednesday, September 30, 2009

ACT: Brief Encounter

Marketing works. I wanted to go to this show because the Bicycle Coalition partnered with ACT for a "bike to the theater" night. That night didn't work for me, and neither did a whole bunch of other nights, but eventually we were able to select one.

This production was fantastic. I loved the whole multimedia thing they did, making it sort of like an old movie but then fading back to live and back again. The other thing I loved were the vaudevillian supporting characters. They rocked.

That said, the story kinda sucked. Let me run it by you: man and woman meet accidentally; they meet again. They start spending time together even though they are both in other relationships. They fall in love, but it doesn't change their home lives in any way. They realize this can never work, and agree to stop seeing each other over copious tears. Excuse me while I vomit in the corner.

In addition, main characters' acting was weak. The woman came across as very simple; maybe that was their intention. When the man spoke, I thought (after 20 years of dating) "he's lying. don't believe him", which makes the plight of these lovers a difficult situation to empathize with.

Naomi said that's her experience with ACT. They put on amazing productions of mediocre plays with bad acting. She's feels like they're wasting that talent.

No comments: