Saturday, February 28, 2009

Stop advising me! Please.

Recently, people have been giving me a lot of advice. I don't know if I seem lost, but seriously people, I'm not. Your advice is annoying at best. In my experience, other people's opinions on what I should do can even be harmful. Listening to you instead of listening to my heart will absolutely put me on the wrong path. If I want to know what you think I should do (because my heart is silent on the matter, for example), I'll ask.

I realize that sounds ungrateful. My father tells me people give me advice because they love me, and I want people to love me. I just wonder if there's some way that we can work together to get people to stop expressing their love by telling me what I should do. I'm open to gifts, verbal appreciation, quality time, poetry, songs, little things you found on the sidewalk that made you think of me.... Let's brainstorm a solution.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Nigel said...

Hmm... The only little things I find on sidewalks in NY are left by dogs and I do my best to avoid touching them. Like your other suggestions though.

MCNB said...

Unsolicited advice can be annoying. But if you make a statement (about anything in your life, really) and someone responds (presumably, as they should) when is it merely an acknowledgement that you were heard and when is it construed as unwanted advice?