Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nightmare

I'm listening to the Talk of the Nation as I prepare for tonight's hanging at the gallery. The topic is The Anatomy of the Nightmare. The definition of a nightmare is a dream so bad it wakes you up. Sleep labs found that something like 70% of all dreams are negative.

Question everything. What is a dream? What is sleep and how is it different from being awake? Let's accept for a moment that being awake and being asleep are fundamentally the same. That is, they are both mechanisms through which we process our emotions and concerns.

In college, I was briefly involved with Brendan who had a very bad reputation. I didn't care, but I heard the stories from the gossips and speculated on how they correlated with the stories of his life that he told me. I won't go into the details. This is relevant bc one of his speech -isms was to call all kinds of his life experiences "nightmares". I found it aptly descriptive and began using it too.

A nightmare, then, is something that happens (in life) that is so negative it wakes us up. It throws us out of our patterns. It bring us consciousness to our actions and how they relate to our values. My relationship (lowecase "r") with Brendan was not a nightmare; my Relationship with Jared was. I've had a few jobs that were nightmares. I even had a living experience that was a nightmare once.

If 70% of all dreams are negative, dreams so bad you wake up are nightmares, and waking life isn't nearly so negative, maybe a waking "nightmare" isn't necessarily always negative. On the other hand, maybe we need a new word for that. I've had many positive life experiences that have caused me to "wake up" to my actions and how they relate to my values.

No comments: