Friday, October 19, 2007

Music, Language, Art

My friends and I have been doing a good job of enjoying this City's cultural resources. Two weeks ago, we enjoyed the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park. I went on Saturday and had such a good time, I decided to return the next day instead of sailing. We heard:
Michelle Shocked
Gillian Welch*
Los Lobos
Charlie Louvin
Hot Buttered Rum
Mekons -- interestingly sort of country punk
Dry Branch Fire Squad*
Jorma Kaukonen*
* indicates particular favorites

During the DBFS the Blue Angels kept flying overhead. The tall man improvised with this odd musical situation well in his monologue.

Last weekend, we did the Lit Crawl. We met first at Casanova as a woman read her personal travel essay about peeing in Antarctica. The room was very crowded; so, we dashed across the street and had a cocktail at Blondie's.

Next, Kristin wanted to hear the essays collectively titled "Girls Tell All" at the Beauty Bar. I found them unremarkable.

Finally, I thought it would be good for us to hear some poetry. At the Marsh, we heard poets read from "youth to beauty". I particularly enjoyed the first piece by a young man about his imaginary giraffe daughter and another later by an older man about "America". Of course, I didn't note down anyone's name tho I should have.

What's totally awesome about the Lit Crawl is the hordes of people who come out and run from venue to venue to hear other people's creative writing. I haven't felt like writing lately, and I only feel a poem coming on every once in while, but I came away from the event feeling inspired and good about my work. What makes a "writer", I guess, is that they write (regardless of quality or content). Not that I accept labels.

Sunday, we did the Bike Coalition's ride to the Marin Headland's Center for the Arts. I love that bike ride, and wished continually that I had remembered to charge my camera -- it was so beautiful. (I've been feeling rather frustrated with myself lately. I haven't taken an art-worthy photo in about a year, and many of ones I took a year ago I can't use bc of their resolution.) There, they have a smattering of "artists in residence" working on various interesting projects -- all ambitious, some remarkable. An example of my lack of commitment to blogging right now is that I didn't note any names.

I have a card from Danielle Nelson Mourning's show where she traced her ancestors in Ireland and took photos of herself simulating what their lives may have been like. She used large-format film on a "field camera". We discussed the unique nature of winter light. I love the idea of constructed self-portrait.

No comments: