Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I made it!

For those of you keeping track of my itinerary, I am in Paris. I'm spending the day at Tina's near Canal Saint Martin, but tonight I go to Montreuil to see the Boisseaus (my French family). Being here feels totally natural, altho my French is rusty (what there is of it!). I now remember why I used to carry a compass for walking these crazy medieval streets.

It's much colder here than in New York. I wonder if I brought warm enough clothes. Here are a few more observations:
* I walked past a skinny little old black man pooping on someone's front steps on my way to the Metro in Ilana's gentrified neighborhood, Fort Green, yesterday morning. I wonder if that would happen on the upper east side.
* I am very much in style in Fort Green -- women with plastic-frames abound. Even in Paris I don't feel frumpy. Did I come to the fashion or did the fashions come to me?
* I've seen the Paris rental bikes everyone is talking about. I'll post a photo when I can.
* With the exception of all those bike paths we used on the Century, Paris appears to be more bike-friendly than New York based on the number of bike lanes and paths on the streets I have walked since I arrived.

3 comments:

Lila Rostenberg said...

You must be so lucky to be in Paris! (This is my first visit to your blog!) thank-you for sharing about your trip!

My granddaughter is named Lilia, too!

Anonymous said...

Totally interested to hear about the rental bikes are working out. Do tell, when you get a chance to try them. Have a great time!

Kristin Tieche said...

Go here for me: Theatre du Chatelet and see the Monkey Opera!