Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Camera Quest

I take a lot of photos, and people pay me for them sometimes. While I more than break even, I don't do it for the money. I've been using the same Sony point-and-shoot for 4+ years now. It works great most of the time, but given what a big part of my life taking pictures is, I realized that my talent deserves a better camera.

Decision making has never been my strong suit ...especially when hundreds of dollars are involved. I did several internet searches on SLR reviews and rankings. When I was in Art school (college) and High School, I had a mid-level Pentax, and over the years, my family gave me several lenses and other accessories for it. So, I have probably thousands of dollars worth of additional stuff even tho my camera body is deeply obsolete (and broken for that matter). I liked the idea of sticking with Pentax also bc it isn't one of the lead manufacturers (like Cannon for example). G suggested I read reviews on dpreview.com, and they didn't change my mind.

dpreview asks readers to buy cameras from the companies listed on their site to support the neutrality of their reviews. I placed an order with one of them ($900). The next day, I got several calls from them. First, they couldn't validate my credit card. Next, they no longer had the camera in stock, and I should buy a different one instead (sales pitch prepared). I didn't want to do that.

So, I went on Yahoo! and Google shopping and found the camera much cheaper ($600) there. I placed an order with a company that got good ratings and had a good price on Y!shopping. The next day, I received several calls again. While the listing clearly included a battery, he said it didn't come with one -- would I like to add one to my order? Oh, and also, its an import and the menu is only in Chinese. Would I like to upgrade to a US-made model? At this point, I canceled the order. (G said that's easy to fix but I shouldn't support a shady business. He doesn't trust any electronics dealers in or near NYC.)

G found the camera I want on CL for $500 in South San Jose. I emailed the lady, and she emailed back. Of course, getting to SSJ is a drag. So, I asked if she ever came to NSJ. She was silent for a week, but when she did write back, it was to tell me vaguely where she lives which, it turns out, is near the Light Rail. (Have you ever noticed there are people out there who think they have bad luck but are really just incompetent? Her emails stressed that she was sick, had lost her job, other people wanting to buy the camera had flaked on her, etc. but then she couldn't just tell me where to come and get the camera.)

I'm going back to Europe shortly, and I really wanted a new camera before I go. So, G (again) found KEH, and online store for used camera equipment. Last week, I placed my order for a "like new" camera, lens, and memory card ($750). I did not receive any phone calls or emails from KEH, and no one (UPS) had a problem with delivery. It arrived today in its original box. I hope this story is finished now.

No comments: