Monday, December 11, 2006

Two other stories about my trip

I have 2 other stories I want to share. You may want to skip the first. On Monday, I went to the airport before 7 AM. I’m almost never out at that hour these days; so, maybe what I saw was an every day occurrence. Capp Street has a bad reputation, which I have thought was not justified over the past 4+ years I’ve lived there. I walked along it towards the 24th Street BART Station. First, at the corner of 23rd, I saw a person lying in the gutter in the fetal position with her pants around her thighs, bottom complete exposed. I don’t know if this was the result of some kind of sexual activity or if she was relieving her bowels and then passed out. A few cars down, a man was relieving his bowels in the gutter between two cars. He may have been the partner of the other (who I assumed to be a woman, but couldn’t be sure). I was so traumatized that I feel the need to tell the world.

My second story is much nicer. In Old Town Alexandria, there is a coffee shop that Ilana loves and I have forgotten its name. They seem to be the real thing, with jars of coffee all around looking fresh and handmade. At one end of the café, there are a bunch of small tables, all empty, and at the other end of the end of the café is a large community table. The community table was completely full. About 12 people took up tiny spaces at the table, using their laptops, talking on their phones, reading the paper, smoking, chatting with each other. Ilana asked the café worker, and she said they don’t know each other, but they just like to be together.

No comments: