Thursday, March 30, 2006

Favorite song

A month or so ago, Jared was in Cleveland for the week. In order to keep in touch regularly, easily, and also to help getting to know each other, he devised a texting game. We would text a name of someone or thing, and then reply with a few words of our reaction to that person or thing. It was fun... and somewhat obsessive.

Examples:
Electoral college/an obstruction to democracy
David Byrne/Compulsively creative
Picasso/inventive but not emotive
Ikea/tickytacky and the occasional amazing orange blanket

So, every now and then the game reappears. This week, the question was favorite Billy Joel song (I didn't know/he said "it's still rockin' roll to me") which turned into a question about all time favorite song. I've been obsessing (who'd a thunk it?) about this question for some time now. Here's my first pass:
Dar Williams: Blessings, My friends, The one who knows, Closer to me, the great unknown....
Sundays: My finest hour
ABBA: Take a chance on me
George Michael: Faith
Liz Phair: Polyester Bride
Madonna: Like a prayer
Pretenders: Don't get me wrong
Diana Ross: I'm coming out
Joni Mitchell: California
Janis Joplin: I wanted to say Ball and Chain, but I think I have to go with Piece of my Heart.
Erik Satie: Trois Morceaux en forme de Poire (I think that's the name of the one I'm thinking of)
That Aria from La Boheme (I'll look)
(...I feel like there should be some jazz standards in there, but I'm not sure which. ...I could go on, but the more I do, the more I feel like a girl. And I like to pretend to be butch.)

16 favorite songs??? A work in progress, like everything else....

What do you think?

1 comment:

Mom said...

Eagles: Take it Easy