Monday, September 12, 2005

Letter excerpts

I realized today as I was writing a daily email that some of my correspondence belongs in the blog. So, here it is, editted for popular consumption:

August 28, Paris
So, after I pulled my ... self together, I went for a walk. Mido suggested that near here is the place where Louis XIV's peaches were grown. I figured, I like peaches A LOT, and I like peach trees too, so maybe that would be interesting.... It was basically some clumps of very old (you can imagine) peach trees around a high-rise apartment complex. Kids played in the streets and guys sat around together chatting. As I left this important historic sight, I found some really cute little suburban cul de sacs overflowing with foliage surrounding cute little houses -- it felt a bit out of place among all these high rise suburban complexes, but it also felt like a relief. I wondered how one managed to buy one of those, just like 10, little houses (when you decide to buy in Montreuil, it can't possibly be what you are imagining).

That was east of the apartment; so, from there I headed south to Blois de Vincenne (woods of Vincenne, the chateau and city that is). There were leaves on the ground, and it almost felt like fall. It did feel like fall. weird. Little families walked and biked and jogged and strolled together along the pathways, sometimes laughing together, pretty below the big shedding trees. Once I hit the chateau, I headed north again, returning to the apartment about 2 hours after I left. It was a good walk.

Sept 2, La Vienne
Some neighbors on the other side of the river had us over for dinner last night. Actually, we cooked, but they hosted. They bought an old distillery (called La Distillery) and are restoring it to function as place for people to go for vacation (rooms, a gite, a dormitory) and also with performance and party spaces. It's really striking, actually. This big industrial distillery (lit up with different colored lights at night) out there in the French countryside next to the river. One of the people who lives there also plays the sitar, and he played for us a few songs, which was really neat. They've painted the walls with lovely designs and they have a large garden out by their pond (with boats!). It sounds like they plan to have an artist community and do environmental education. (I wish I could be the kind of person to do something like that. I am neither that imaginative nor that brave.)

Sept 6, Paris
After class today, I took a walk with Jennifer. After about 30 minutes it turned out we were both very hungry. So, we stopped off at the cafeteria of one of the big department stores and had a pretty nice lunch of salad and dessert (I had a charlotte, she had fromage blanc, the salad included a lot of cold meat products and was good). Then we walked for a little while longer and then got on to the Metro in our respective directions (opposite on the same line). I got home by 4.

Learning a language teaches you a lot about categorizing things. For example, today we learned about when you use "pour", "pendant" and "depuis". We have these same words in English, but as native speakers, we don't think about how we use them (they are "for", "during" and "since" respectively). You use "pour" for something of an non-absolute period of time, often in the future. You use "pendant" for a definite period of time, often in the past. You use "depuis" for something that is still going on. But if you asked me how to define "for", "during" and "since", I am not sure I would be able to do it. We also spent a long time on vocabulary and conversation, which was good. My new teacher is so charming, and that helps a lot.

Sept 7, Paris
I really like trying to learn another language bc it helps me to understand my own. That part about being able to talk to other people is also nice. But since English is the most common second language in the world (it seems), there is a lot less incentive to learn a second one myself.

I also have a theory that it is like vitamins for my brain, helping it grow. When I took calculus for fun between college and grad school (it was my first time taking it) I used to get this feeling like the wheels in my brain were turning for the first time in a long time, and while they were rusty, they were turning and it felt good and fresh and kind of like stretching or doing yoga. It made me feel alive. I never got that feeling from learning anything else, and I haven't had it since. I don't know what it is. But it feels wonderful when I study French.

Sept 8, Paris
I really tried not to take a nap today but it is a difficult habit to get out of. I think I managed to sleep for only an hour, which might mean that I will be able to sleep tonight. I would like that. Even the teacher noticed that I was tired in class today. I think I am tired partly bc it is getting to be the end of the week and partly bc when I sleep for a long time in the afternoon, I can't sleep at night and the whole system doesn't work. Not sure why that is exactly, bc I also believe that my body should be able to manage its own needs, but apparently not.
...

After class, I finally made it to the place where I had such an excellent chocolat chaud last winter. I ordered that and a quiche. The quiche was burned and the milk sour. I sent the chocolat chaud back, altho the lady tried to tell me it was just that it was too chocolaty, and the new one was fine. I didn't feel like I could send back the quiche bc it was obviously burned. Alas. I didn't leave any tip. I sat by the window with a view of the church en face de le Louvre and did my devior (hw). So, I won't end up doing it at midnight tonight again for the third day in a row. That was a win, anyway.

Sept 12, Paris
One problem I always have with public speaking is that I really don't know how to communicate without constant feedback: Do you understand what I am staying? Do you have anything to add? Am I explaining my point enough or too much? Speaking to a room of blank faces really throws me, and I have trouble pacing myself; I end up with long pauses between talking too fast. ...I started to wonder if it is another personality type, like introverts and extroverts. Does someone require feedback to create and communicate clearly, and can they formulate entire universes on their own? I have always really admired the latter group, and it has long been clear to me that I am the former. Alas! (However, my hope is that this characteristic, like most, has its upside, like being a good listener, or using resources efficiently. I hope to have those qualities.)
....

...Mido, JP and I spent a quiet Saturday night. I think I went to be early and slept for a long time, which I certainly needed. On Sunday, I hung out around the house for a long time. We had the rest of the Mexican food from Friday night (which was way too hot -- don't underestimate the power of the French hot pepper!) for dinner....

Around 4, I ventured out and walked the length of the Champs-Elysees, and then sat in the Jardin des Tularies reading until a French man in his late 50s came over and wouldn't stop talking to me. I got away with his phone number, but managed to convince him that I didn't have a phone. Then I walked back to l'Hotel de Ville (a long way in all) and took the Metro home.

Class was good today. We did a little que/qui/ou (boring) and then more passe compose/Imparfait. For the last 30 minutes, we played Taboo (in French, of course). I think it's the best exercise ever (for me anyway) bc my desire to win eclipses all self-consciousness about speaking incorrectly. I loved it. However, my team was weaker, and we managed to tie by the end despite the other side's attempt to cheat.

After class I decided to walk for while, and another guy, a short Tunisian man in a pink sweatshirt, wouldn't stop talking to me. I tried to tell him I was Chinese (I don't know why he didn't believe me?), but generally wouldn't answer his questions, which caused him to call me not very nice. It's strange, I really react when someone tells me I'm not nice, even if I don't want to be talking to them anyway.

Once I got rid of him, I had a pleasant walk and saw signs for a lot of affordable real estate around Republic, which is one of the areas that interest me. Hmm... I stopped at a cafe, had a deca, wrote some postcards, and did my homework, and then came home. I am craving lentils, so I am about to make some.

No comments: