Sunday, July 31, 2005

(Mis)adventures in Bled

I think I mentioned that Karolina and the Italians left without me for the Alps with the plan that they would email or call with a place I should meet them today. Well, she did -- she said lunch time at Bled's city center. I emailed back and said 12 noon, and she emailed back again and said OK.

The problem is that this isn't really a city, so it was not at all obvious to me where the city center is. I asked at tourist info and they said the adjacent shopping center (eww). So, I send her another email and a text to her mobile phone (via the web) saying that that was where I was. I waited 30 minutes. Then I thought maybe she's waiting at the bus station. So, I walked over there. No Karolina or Italians in sight. I left a note on the wall saying I would continue to wait at the city center until 1:30. I did, and when no one came, I went to the Youth Hostel and checked myself in.

I should also mention that the "city center" and the bus station are about 500 m from each other, up a hill, and my bag is very heavy. The Youth Hostel is also up a hill. So, by the time I arrived here I was completely drenched in sweat, despite that fact that we are in the mountains and it is overcast.

So, I am going for a swim in a minute. Bled Lake is lovely, but I can see why Brian told me not to bother coming here. The town is a bit ugly and modern, and very small. There's a castle above the lake and lots of trees all around (I wasn't expecting so many trees for some reason). There's also a church that reflects nicely in the water.

Anyway, the plan for tomorrow is to go to another, more remote place (tho still in my Lonely Planet Europe) where nothing is going on except outdoor activies and relaxation. Karolina and the Italians may even be there.

No comments: