Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sleep

Time: How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?
A recent study found that people who sleep between 6.5 and 7.5 hours/night live the longest. I can imagine how people who sleep less might use themselves up, but I think the shortened lives of people who sleep more should be associated with other health problems that cause them to need more sleep. The study did not suppose any reasons at this release.

Meanwhile, G found this napping diagram:

Source: Boston.com

I love the graphic display of information. But more than that, I was fascinated to read their suggestions for when and how to sleep. For example, they note that most animals typically sleep in several short naps over the day's 24 hours rather than in one long stretch. Perhaps that is healthier and more effective.

People seem to have a lot of judgement about sleep esp when and how it should be done. I wish I could sleep 4 hours in the night and 4 hours in the day, but I would need the rest of society to cooperate bc it's terribly boring to be awake when everyone else is sleeping. The last time I went to Europe, I had a lovely experience with no jetlag after a 4 hour afternoon nap and plenty of exercise. In fact, I think most sleep problems are really exercise deficits... and that becomes a matter of priorities. Just please don't use that assertion to judge anyone's habits. The result is just misery and insonmia resulting from worry about not sleep or exercizing enough.

No comments: