Friday, October 27, 2006

SF's best fish and chips

Aparently this is a difficult question. I picked up a Contra Costa Times on the BART the other day and found an article about the best places to get fish and chips in their areas. Two of those places are geographically desirable to me:
Spenger's in Berkeley (been there many times as a kid)
Sea Salt on San Pablo in Berkeley (never heard of it, but interested)

In San Francisco, Edinburgh Castle was mentioned several times in my google search. I took Jared there recently and thought it was just OK. I think there had been a problem getting the food from the little store around the corner to the pub. Other places mentioned:
The Liberties on Guerrero at 22nd (been there, don't remember what I ordered)
Wilde Oscar's on Folsom at 15th (never been there, but interested now)

But, I don't know. After Alaska, I may be spoiled for the best fish and chips California has the offer.

3 comments:

Christina said...

best fish and chips i've had in SF lately were at Front Porch. Fried to perfection!

Mom said...

I went to Front Porch last week, but they were out of Fish and Chips. I'll go again, tho, it was nice.

We went to Sea Salt in Berkeley last week too. The Fish and Chips were fine -- nothing special. Jared really liked the chips (they were rather hard). But for a pricey $16, I don't need to go again.

Another "best of" food idea: biscuits and gravy: post your thoughts.

Mom said...

I had fish and chips at the Pheonix (Valencia and 19th) yesterday. It was huge, tasty, and only $9 (happy hour special). My friend asserted that Edinbourgh Castle is the best if they can get it to you quickly.

I also noticed that The Pheonix has biscuits and gravy.